5 Household Products That Could Put Your Pet in the Hospital

As a pet owner, you want what’s best for your furry friend. Unfortunately, pets are often curious creatures and can wind up putting themselves in unsafe and unhealthy situations. In many cases, products that are human-friendly can be downright dangerous for dogs and cats. So, if you’re not careful, your pet could wind up in the hospital.
The best way to avoid this danger is to know what’s unsafe so you can keep it out of your pet’s reach. Here are the five most common household products that can be dangerous or deadly for your pet.

Human Medications

Most medications, even over-the-counter options, can be potentially toxic for your pet. Examples can include flu medicine, painkillers (such as Advil or Tylenol), cough medicine, and more. As a rule, you should never give your pet anything that hasn’t been approved by your vet. So, even if your pet is in pain, don’t try to prescribe anything, no matter how harmless it may seem.


Most people know that chocolate is toxic for dogs, but it’s also lethal for cats as well. Fortunately, cats tend to avoid chocolate, so there’s less of a chance that your feline friend will dig into a box of Hershey’s Kisses. As a rule, dark chocolate varieties are the most toxic, and even small amounts can cause vomiting and diarrhea in your pet. Overall, just keep chocolate away from your pup or kitty at all times.

Rat Poison

Getting rid of pests can be challenging as a pet owner because what’s lethal to rodents is also toxic for your furry friends. So, if you have a rat problem, you need to make sure to avoid putting traps where your pet can get into them. If you’re using rat poison, be sure to lock it up and put traps in hard-to-reach locations.


While a few sips can get your dog or cat drunk, the after-effects can be far more unpleasant than you may realize. Since your pet is much smaller than you, it doesn’t take much for them to develop alcohol poisoning. Effects can include diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, difficulty breathing, and even death.


Unfortunately, hand soaps can often smell appealing to your pet, so you have to keep them out of reach. The soap can wreak havoc on your pet’s digestive system, which can dehydrate them and cause blockages.

Take Care of Your Pet With Animal Wellness Center

Even if you take steps to prevent your pet from getting into harmful household products, accidents can still happen. If your pet gets sick, we can help them get better. Contact us with all the details and set up an appointment ASAP.